Configuring your Newsreader for the Sybase News Service
Instructions are available for the following Newsreaders:
- ° Microsoft's OutLook
° Netscape Communicator 4.x (Collabra Discussion Groups)
° Microsoft's Internet Mail and News Client
° Netscape Navigator version 2.x and 3.x
° Forte's FreeAgent
° MicroPlanet Gravity
- 1. Open the Microsoft OutLook
If you have never used Outlook
Express before, a wizard will prompt you to set up the client. Proceed
to step #6.
If you have used OutLook Express before follow these instructions to start the setup wizard:
2. Click the Tools Menu
3. Choose the Accounts Menu Item
4. In the Dialog Box, click the ADD Button, then NEWS submenu item.
5. This starts a Wizard that will set up a new News Server Account for you.
6. The first two screens ask for your Name and your E-Mail address. Fill these in appropriately.
7. The third screen will prompt you for a News server name. Fill in forums.sybase.com. There is a checkbox at the bottom of this screen with the text "My News Server Requires Me to Logon".
If you are setting up your newsreader to access Private newsgroups, check this checkbox and click Next.
If you only require access to Public Newsgroups do not check this checkbox and click next. Proceed to step #9.
8. The next screen will prompt you for a Logon Name and Password. Fill these in appropriately.
9. The next screen prompts you for how you will be connecting to this server. Fill this in appropriately for your location.
10. The next screen congratulates you for setting up your newsreader and prompts you to click Finish if you are done. Click Finish.
11. Once the Dialog has closed you will be prompted to add newsgroups for the newly added server. Click Yes to do this.
12. A new Dialog Window opens and presents you with the list of newsgroups to which you have access.
13. When the list of available newsgroups appears you can subscribe to newsgroups by highlighting the desired newsgroup and clicking the subscribe button or by double clicking on individual newsgroups.
14. To get the most recent list of newsgroups select a pre-subscribed newsgroup on that is located on forums.sybase.com, click the newsgroups button on the toolbar and click the Reset List button.
Netscape Communicator 4.x (Collabra Discussion Groups)
- 1. Open Netscape Communicator
2. Click the Communicator Menu and Select Collabra Discussion Groups. This will open the news reader for you.
3. Click the file menu and choose New Discussion Group Server.
4. You will get prompted with a dialog box.
5. In the Server Name edit box type forums.sybase.com
6. Leave the Port number set to 119.
7. If you wish to connect to Password Protected newsgroups, check the box that says "Always Prompt me for a Username and Password". If you do not do this you will have to REMOVE the news server from your profile and then re-add it as there is no way to Edit your news server options to change this setting.
8. Click OK and you will be brought back to Collabra and your new news server will be in the list.
9. Right mouse click on the news server and click Subscribe to Discussion Groups. If you checked the Always Prompt me for a Username and Password checkbox you will get prompted now for a Username and Password. Fill this information in appropriately.
10. You will now see a dialog box with a treeview list of newsgroups that are accessible to you.
11. You can subscribe to newsgroups by expanding the branches and clicking the dot next to the newsgroup name ( it should turn into a checkmark indicating that you are subscribed to the newsgroup ) Or you can click the Subscribe button that is to the right of the list.
12. When finished you can close the dialog box, expand the server name and see the newsgroups you've subscribed to and navigate from there.
13. Please note that everytime you close Collabra or connect to a different news server and come back to the news server you will be prompted for a username and password if that checkbox was checked when you setup the server.
Microsoft's Internet Mail and News Client
- 1. Open the Microsoft News Reader
2. Click the News Menu and choose Options
3. Click the Server Tab
4. Click the Add button near the bottom of the window
5. In the Server Name edit box type forums.sybase.com
6. Click OK
7. You will be prompted to download a list of newsgroups. Click OK
8. When the list of available newsgroups appears, you can subscribe to newsgroups by highlighting the desired newsgroup and clicking the subscribe button or by double clicking on individual newsgroups.
9. To get the most recent list of newsgroups, select a pre-subscribed newsgroup that is located on forums.sybase.com. Click the newsgroups button on the toolbar and click the Reset List button.
- 1. Open Netscape Navigator.
2. Click the Options Menu and choose Mail and News Preferences.
3. Click the Servers Tab.
4. In the News section of the window type in the Server editbox forums.sybase.com
5. Click the Identity Tab.
6. Fill in relevant information.
7. Click OK, this should return you back to the Web Browser.
8. Click the Window Menu and choose Read News. This will open up a second window.
9. You should see forums.sybase.com in the list to the right.
10. Click the + sign next to the server and it will show you three newsgroups
11. Right mouse on the server's name and choose Show All Newsgroups. You may need to expand and collapse the news tree and click Show All Newsgroups a couple of times for it to display the proper list of groups. You'll know you have the proper set of groups when you see two items under the server name, namely powersoft.public.* and sybase.public.*.
12. To get the full list of newsgroups available, click the + signs to expand the tree of newsgroups available.
13. To subscribe to groups highlight the group you wish to subscribe to and click the checkbox to the right of the newsgroup name.
- 1. Open FreeAgent
2. Click the Options Menu and choose Preferences
3. On the User Profile Tab enter in relevant information
4. Click the System Profile Tab
5. On the News Server line type forums.sybase.com
6. Click OK
7. Click the OnLine Menu and choose Refresh Group List
8. A dialog will appear that prompt you for Delete options for Extinct Newsgroups
9. Click the bottom option and click OK. This should reset the group list entirely.
10. To subscribe to a newsgroup double click on the newsgroup name.
11. To show all newsgroups all the time Click the Group Menu and choose Show All Newsgroups.
- 1. Open WinVN
2. Click the Config menu and choose Communications...
3. On the NNTP Server line type forums.sybase.com
4. Click OK. This should return you to the WinVN Main window.
5. Click the Connect/Disconnect Button (the furthest left button)
6. Click the Connect/Disconnect Button again to connect to the new server.
7. It will prompt you with the list of available newsgroups.
8. Double click the newsgroups you wish to subscribe to. They should move from the left list to the right list.
9. Click OK when finished. You should see your subscribed groups in the list.
10. To View the Messages within a group, double click the group you wish to view. This should open up a second window with the list of messages in it.
MicroPlanet Gravity Newsreader
- 1. Open Gravity
2. Click the View menu and choose Options
3. Next to News Server type forums.sybase.com
4. Click OK
5. To get the list of Newsgroups click the Newsgroup Menu and choose Get New Groups
6. To get the list of current messages Click the Newsgroup Menu and choose Re-Read Messages. You can use this options whenever you wish to re-read messages as this news reader will not display read messages upon it's next startup.
For further information about Sybase Newsgroups, please check the following document: